Day 257: Professor Undercog’s new wheel - My friend Charlie (Charlotte) created Professor Undercog last year for her graduation film “The Mechanics of Underwear” which you can watch here: https://vimeo.com/32208586
I asked Charlie if she would like him to make a cameo in Pip’s Sketch show and she accepted, unfortunately he didn’t have a wheel or legs, so after a bit of consultation we decided I’d give him a new wheel in the style of an old penny farthing bike or something along those lines, although it’s now more like a unicycle… So where else better to put him than the scrap yard, thats where you can find all kinds of old stuff to repair yourself… if you’re a robot… a human one would be pretty disgusting tbh!
Well actually the film has been finished for quite a while now but I haven’t managed to update this blog to confirm that! A big thanks to everyone that was involved and to to those who attempted to keep me sane throughout (you know who you are). I can pleasantly say that I got a first for it, wooo. And am now graduating with a first class degree! wooo again :D
Anyway back to film for which this blog is dedicated to. The degree show last month seemed to go well and the general response was very postive. I will later post some photos of the crazy display I created but for now here is the poster.
My tutors have suggested a bunch of festivals and such to enter, so I have been trying to make progress with the applications. Because of entering film festivals I haven’t uploaded the final thing to vimeo or youtube but for now please check out my vimeo profile: http://vimeo.com/cbolton
Ok well I’ve been really busy with the dissertation and other bits, so I haven’t updated this blog for a while. Nearly everything is modelled and alot of it is textured too. It has taken longer than expected but it is finally getting there.
The character is almost there, heres a quick image of Professor Undercog at present:
I have finally decided that making the factory environment will be much easier (for me) to model in 3D rather than continuing to experiment in 2D. Here is an image of its current state:
I’m not going to go through everything that I have made and changed, BUT I have been thinking about the many problems that could occur.
One of the main ones is that I am going to have lots of problems with how the mechanical bra animates.
I am hoping that this design flaw will not take too long to fix and am going to focus on other things. Such as the story and structure, I desperately need to decide who this animation is targeted as. I think that once I have clearly established this to story/structure will come together much more fluently. The main changes will probably be at the beginning and the most certainly the end. I have also been rethinking the ending and will make a seperate post about the possiblities.
I have already made another animatic and shall post it here asap, but it still needs more work. Hopefully the script and general structure will improve now that I have more time to focus on this project.